Free Consultations 24/7 (503) 773-3333 Toll Free (855) 503-5035
Request Free Consultation
Tillmann Law

What Is a T-Bone Car Accident?

Posted on April 6, 2023 in

A T-bone car accident occurs when the front of one vehicle collides with the side of another vehicle. These accidents are also known as broadside or side-impact collisions. 

T-bone accidents are particularly dangerous because the side of a vehicle does not offer the same level of protection as the front or back of a car. The force of the impact can cause serious injuries to the driver and passengers in the side-struck vehicle.

What Does “T-Bone” Mean in a Car Accident?

The term “T-bone” refers to the shape of the collision when one vehicle collides with the side of another car at a perpendicular angle, forming a “T” shape. In some cases, the impact can be so severe that it pushes the side-struck vehicle across the intersection or even into other cars or pedestrians.

T-Bone Accident: Who’s At Fault?

Determining fault in a T-bone car accident can be complex and depends on several factors, such as the actions of each driver, the traffic signals, and road conditions. 

Generally, the driver who caused the accident is considered at fault. This could be the driver who failed to yield at a stop sign or traffic signal or the driver who was speeding or driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

In some cases, both drivers may share the fault for the T-bone accident. For example, if one driver was texting while driving and the other driver failed to yield at a stop sign, both drivers could be partially responsible for the accident.

If both drivers share responsibility for the T-bone accident, the damages may be divided between the parties based on their percentage of fault. For example, if one driver is found to be 70% at fault for the accident, and the other driver is found to be 30% at fault, the damages awarded would reflect this split in fault.

Seek Medical Attention After a Portland T-Bone Collision

It is important to seek medical attention after a T-bone accident, even if you do not initially feel injured. Some injuries, such as whiplash or internal bleeding, may not manifest symptoms until days or even weeks after the accident. Seeking prompt medical attention can help ensure that you receive proper treatment for any injuries you may have sustained.

How To Reduce the Risk of Being in a T-Bone Car Accident in Portland, OR

To reduce the risk of being involved in a T-bone accident, drivers should always follow traffic signals and stop signs, drive at safe speeds, and avoid distractions while driving, such as texting or using a mobile device. Additionally, drivers should remain alert and aware of their surroundings, especially when approaching intersections.

Contact a Portland Car Accident Lawyer for Help After a T-Bone Crash

T-bone car accidents can be devastating and result in serious injuries or even fatalities. Determining fault in a T-bone collision can be complex and depends on several factors. Generally, the driver who caused the crash is considered at fault. However, in some cases, both drivers may share fault for the accident.

If you have been involved in a T-bone accident, seek legal advice from an experienced personal injury lawyer in Portland, OR. An attorney can help you understand your rights and options for pursuing compensation for your injuries, medical bills, lost wages, and other damages. 

If you were injured in an accident in Portland, OR, please contact our Portland car accident lawyers at Tillmann Car Accident & Personal Injury Lawyer to schedule a free consultation today.

Tillmann Car Accident & Personal Injury Lawyer
101 SW Main St. #1905
Portland, OR, 97204
(503) 773-3333

Google Rating
4.9
Based on 57 reviews
×
js_loader