As the weather has turned to winter conditions, pedestrian safety becomes an even greater concern as people may find sidewalks and walkways impassable. There has been a dramatic increase in auto-pedestrian accidents in Utah and Oregon and Tillmann Law wants to make sure you stay safe. Here are some tips to keep safe as a pedestrian.
- Always walk on the sidewalk when possible. If the sidewalk is not available, walk facing traffic along the edge of the road, keeping as far from the land of travel as possible.
- Cross at marked crosswalks or intersections where vehicles expect to encounter pedestrians.
- Make sure you stop at the curb; look left first to oncoming traffic, then right, and left one more time before crossing.
- Walk Defensively! This means keeping an eye out for potential dangers.
- Be predictable; do not make sudden directional changes that confuse drivers.
- Watch for the pedestrian signals when available and obey them.
- Be Seen:
- Make eye contact with drivers when crossing and wave.
- Wear bright colors and reflective clothing.
- If walking at night carry a flashlight.
- When walking with children, have them walk closest to the sidewalk and away from the street. Children should not cross the street alone, hold their hand and teach them how to navigate the crossing safely.
Utah Department of Transportation has been frustrated by the recent spike in auto-pedestrian accidents.
Oregon Department of Transportation is working on a new bicycle and pedestrian plan. You can read about it here:
If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident in Oregon give Tillmann Law a call and have your case reviewed. Tillmann Law offers a free no obligation consultation. Most Oregon accident cases can be handled on a contingency fee basis, which means you don’t pay us anything unless we recover for you.
Aaron Tillmann is an Oregon personal injury attorney in downtown Portland, Oregon. Tillmann Law serves Oregon clients and will serve the Multnomah Clackamas, Washington, Yamhill, and Marion counties. Mr. Tillmann also services the Millcreek, Murray, Holladay, Cottonwood Heights, Sandy and Draper areas of Utah.
Get in Touch
101 SW Main St., Suite 1905
Portland, OR 97204